A Small Wager

Either way you cut it, I was going to get the best end of this bargain. Michael and I were sitting in my doctor’s office this afternoon, and Nurse Cindy left the room to go read my new x-rays. “Wanna make a bet?” Michael says.

Sure thing! Always game for that. So he bet that the docs would make me do another 2 weeks non-weight-bearing, and for argument’s sake, I bet that I’d be cleared for partial weight bearing. “So what’s riding on this?” he says. This is where our wagers usually break down, because by the time we figure out what the winner gets, the bet-upon event has usually already happened.

This is not the bet-winning earring, just a little for-instance. Note the Lazy Boy in the background...

“Earrings,” I say, “If you lose, you buy me a pair of earrings. If I lose, I buy you one earring.”

“Done,” says Michael. So either way I win. Either I get to do partial weight bearing AND get a pair of earrings OR I’m non-weight bearing but only have to shell out for one earring. And I’m kind of up for getting Michael a styling earring or two.

But happily for me and unfortunately for Michael’s naked earlobe, THE XRAYS WERE GOOD!!!

I get to move to 50% weight bearing, which apparently means that I can put the ball of my foot down, with slightly more weight, rather than just touching my toes to the floor. YAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

I was so excited that we stopped by the bike shop on the way out of town, just to say hi, and then stopped in at Lynch’s Furniture next door, where Michael bought my lovely Lazy Boy a few weeks ago. I thanked them for the truly perfect chair and took note of a few other pieces that might be nice at some point. (Or it could be that by this time in the day, anything soft was looking alright by me.) Michael has been making noise about getting his own recliner. Ah, jealousy.

But first he’s got to get me some earrings. 🙂

And a little postscript: My last entry talked about how fantastic it has been to connect with people over the web during the course of my recovery. And it HAS been wonderful; people have been so friendly and supportive. But the fact that I haven’t felt too isolated over the past few weeks has mostly to do with Michael. He sat at the hospital with me during most daylight hours, and I was so glad he did. I thought I was pretty lucid and able to explain myself to doctors, but there were lots of times I was thankful for some help. And now that I’m home, he’s rearranged his work schedule so that he can keep me company for at least part of the day. Knowing that someone’s coming home – and that that someone will happily take me to the park or grocery store or for a wheelchair ride down the road – makes everything less lonely. I’m lucky to have him, and I don’t say it enough.


About solveighanson

I'm a (late) thirtysomething Plant Breeding Ph.D. student, daughter / sister / auntie, vegetable fan, yogi, sometime cyclist, and enthusiastic if infrequent baker. I started this blog in the summer of 2010 to trace my recovery from a pelvic fracture sustained in a cycling accident. That healing process was truly transformative, and since then I seem to have written mostly about the transformations that have followed. And hence the title of the blog: Don't call me a butterfly, because I'm not done changing.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s