Mom, Dad, Snakes & Cakes

On Friday at about 11:30am, I got a call from my mom. She and my dad were heading south from Victor in their rental car to fetch me from the house and take me to lunch. They’d just flown in for a quick two-day visit to make sure that I really am in one piece and just to say hello.

I decided to meet them outside, which is possible now that I can put a little bit of weight on my right foot. (And by doing so I could avoid displaying my mess home to them.) So I packed my little handlebar bag and headed outside. The dogs were on the job as usual, so they came out with me, and Tess immediately found a stick to play with. I threw it for her a few times, although the game is much more complicated since she has to actually bring it RIGHT TO me, instead of just somewhere within a four foot radius. She gets it eventually, but it takes a bit. So after a few throws and catches, she takes her stick underneath the wisteria bush and finds something stinky enough to roll in.

I continue down the driveway, and am pretty close to the mailbox by the time my folks show up. Dad heads up the driveway to retrieve the wheelchair out of my car, and mom says hello to me and to Tess, who has come out from under the bush. Tess has a wad of grass hanging from her collar, along with a long, black string. “What’s that?” I say, and mom starts to dislodge it. Turns out it’s a dead garter snake. Nice! Welcome to my home, mom & dad! Hope you brought your hand sanitizer!

Mom & I at Kershaw Park. Gorgeous weather!

Anyhow, that began my mom and dad’s visit, and we just said goodbye to them this evening. In between we had lunch at Wegman’s in Canandaigua, a nice wheelchair / walk at Kershaw Park, dinner with Michael and his mom at The Corner in Newark, fabulous muffins at Sweet Blessings in Shortsville, and dinner at the Flint Creek Brewing Company in Phelps. Is there a race I can do tomorrow? Because I’m carbo loaded. 🙂

All of those things were pretty normal things to do with visitors and really weren’t too affected by my limited mobility. I’m not in much pain now, and with the exception of navigating stairs and getting myself and my walker into hotel room bathrooms (really, could we allow more than 1 inch between the edge of the toilet and the door’s swing path?) I could get where I needed to be. The unusual part was that instead of going to the Park Ave Fest or the Phelps Sauerkraut Fest or just shopping in Canandaigua, we spent a few hours on Friday afternoon and a few more on Saturday afternoon crashed at mom & dad’s hotel. I just get worn out fast. I don’t usually realize it while I’m doing it – for example, I felt fantastic while wheeling in the park yesterday – but when I get done, I’m done.

I got home last night and felt like I’d run a marathon. (Which I’ve never done, so I guess I don’t know what that feels like. But you get my meaning.) I slept for 9 hours straight and laid in bed (chair) for another hour before I finally got up. I felt hung over, completely soaked with fatigue.

Mom, Dad & I on Main Street in Phelps. We carefully posed ourselves in front of the flower cart...and then completely blocked it... 🙂

But a lovely, perfectly baked blueberry muffin awaited me at Sweet Blessings, so I thought I’d at least try to make it that far. And by the end of the muffin – at about noon – I was feeling pretty good. We took a scenic drive up by Lake Ontario and ended up by my parents’ airport hotel. My mom & I then watched 3 very entertaining hours of Food Network, snoozed a little bit, and were ready for dinner. The highlight of the meal was broccoli wasabi slaw, closely followed by chocolate lava cake. Like I said, my glycogen stores are now topped off.

And now, once again, I’m done. But I’m not as crazy tired as yesterday. It was great to see my mom & dad, catch up on their lives, and just chat face to face. They’re pretty great folks, undeterred by dead snakes, and I’m fortunate to have them.


About solveighanson

I'm a (late) thirtysomething Plant Breeding Ph.D. student, daughter / sister / auntie, vegetable fan, yogi, sometime cyclist, and enthusiastic if infrequent baker. I started this blog in the summer of 2010 to trace my recovery from a pelvic fracture sustained in a cycling accident. That healing process was truly transformative, and since then I seem to have written mostly about the transformations that have followed. And hence the title of the blog: Don't call me a butterfly, because I'm not done changing.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Mom, Dad, Snakes & Cakes

  1. Tammy says:

    LOL,,, great blog Solveigh,,, you were right here in Phelps and I missed you,,, so glad you stopped by,,, I sometimes Like the Flint Creek Brewery… And sometimes I dont ! you were making your rounds that day,,, you did really well. Glad to hear it !! Hope to see you soon !

  2. Connie B says:

    Sounds like you had a great time with your folks! Tell them they ‘missed’ a stinkin’ hot weekend in the Upper Midwest!!

  3. Ruth H says:

    Hey, it’s fun to read about our weekend before we even get unpacked! It was great to be with you and enjoy beautiful “western New York”, not “upstate New York”–I’ll get my geography and political correctness right one of these days—it was a pretty bumpy ride this morning as we flew over, around, and through the thunderstorms, but we made it!
    We admire your strength and determination as you tackle your recovery, and we admire Michael’s thoughtful care-taking. Love to you both! Mom
    PS Remind me to bring latex gloves next time I decide to pull a dead garter snake from Tess’s collar 🙂 uff-dah!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s