Knock On Wood

I am tempted to post some effusive thing about how much better I’ve felt the last few days, because I’ve had a pretty good string, considering the puddle of sleepiness I was last week. And I’ll effuse a little bit, as long as you all promise to knock on wood for me, because I don’t want to jinx this!

Mac goes for the jugular. If I could bottle her energy...

A quick recap: Friday I went to PT, got cleared for one-crutch-ness, and then went to the gym to lift weights and spin on the recumbent bike. I considered not going, as I was a little bit worn out, but I figured I’d feel better once I got going. I did. Then home for supper & a long sleep.

Saturday: To Bill Kaufman’s in Shortsville to get our sweet custom sandals fitted, then down to Geneva Bike Center, where Michael test-rode his patoot off. I socialized, spent a very nice hour on the phone with Grandma while parked in our parked car, and got a bit of walking in. Home for dinner and a movie, then a REALLY long sleep.

Sunday: Woke up at 9:30, rolled out sometime within the following hour. It had rained steadily all night, and the air was cool. Perfect for sleeping and lounging. Michael and I went up to the YMCA in the early afternoon for some weight room action, and I decided I’d try stretching on the floor mats. I hadn’t visited the floor with anything but feet and fingertips since July 4th, but it went fine! I can be on two knees as easily as two feet, and as long as I don’t put all of my weight on my right leg, I’m ok. Did my first Down Dog and Up Dog in 7 weeks! Felt DIVINE!!!!!

After lots of core & hip exercises – mostly my regular PT routine – I went for the a little bit of cardio work. I started on the Airdyne, which is one of those exercise bikes that has a big fan for a front wheel and uses air for resistance. It’s easily my least favorite piece of fitness equipment. The air generates so much resistance that I can’t get the thing to go more than 50 rpms, even while using my arms, and the blasted computer on this particular bike shut off every time I took my hands off the arm levers. Did get a pretty good upper body workout, and got the heart rate over 100, which ordinarily isn’t much but in this context is significant. So I went back to the recumbent bike for a nice little 10 minute spin, which was great. I got cadence up to 90 rpm – which is normal for me and felt great – and heart rate up to 120 bpm! Felt good to breathe deeply and not have hip pain in the midst of this.

Beets, braised tofu, roasted veg, plain soy yogurt, melon & pepper. Yum.

And THEN, I still had energy! Holy crow! Upon arriving home, I did some dishes, cleaned the riffraff out of the fridge, and even made some progress on dinner! I sliced & roasted kohrabi, turnips, and onions – an all-white vegetable medley in honor of my Scandahoovian roots – and steamed a couple pounds of beets. I love beets. Also cut up a giant, very ripe muskmelon from our CSA and started planning a strategy to eat the whole thing before it goes bad. Michael braised some tofu, and we were good to go.

I was ready to sit down, but I was not dragged-out tired. Amazing. We watched a movie, looked at pics of our kittens & dogs, and called it a night. At least I tried to. Couldn’t sleep. I guess that’s what happens when you have an entire week’s worth of long sleeps, ending in one super-sleep until 9:30am. So at midnight I finally got sleepy enough to zonk.

Monday: I wasn’t necessarily in the mood to get up before the sun did, but I kind of wanted to shift myself back onto a normal time schedule. Plus I actually needed to be available during all regular work hours today, so I did the normal get up – shower – PT – breakfast – ready to go by 8am thing. Not bad. After a few conference calls and some editing, I’m still functioning. Tired, but just normal I-didn’t-get-a-full-night’s-sleep tired, not OMG-I-can’t-deal tired. We’ve still got either a visit to the pool or a little strength workout on tap tonight, to be followed by dinner and sleep. I don’t think I’ll have trouble sleeping tonight, and hopefully I’ll still have a couple wits about me tomorrow. As the Stones say: Can you hear me knocking?


About solveighanson

I'm a (late) thirtysomething Plant Breeding Ph.D. student, daughter / sister / auntie, vegetable fan, yogi, sometime cyclist, and enthusiastic if infrequent baker. I started this blog in the summer of 2010 to trace my recovery from a pelvic fracture sustained in a cycling accident. That healing process was truly transformative, and since then I seem to have written mostly about the transformations that have followed. And hence the title of the blog: Don't call me a butterfly, because I'm not done changing.
This entry was posted in Food, Recovery, Training. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s