It was an eventful weekend in my little world, and here’s my 20 minute recap. As in 20 minutes to write, not read! 🙂 I’m bullet pointing this one to remind myself that BREVITY is the goal here. Not that I ever run on.
- Heart Walk! Saturday was sunny, bright, and a pleasant mid-50’s temperature, and I got to participate in the Start! Heart Walk with about 9 others on the Harris Seeds team. Totally a nice time, lots of people walking – I’ll estimate 2500? – but I’m a notoriously bad crowd estimator. While sitting in the War Memorial waiting to start, I estimated that there were 500 people in the whole place…and it turns out there were 500 just in the one seating section that housed the Rochester General team. Ah, well.
- Spent my first Heart Walk mile walking and talking with some coworkers…and then realized I’d need to pick up the pace if I was to make it to my next commitment of the day. So I said goodbye, turned on the afterburners, and finished the last couple of miles a little quicker. Felt great to walk, hip was fine. I walked this in honor of my Grandpa Dimick, who was a great morning walker and would’ve loved Saturday’s sunshine and cool air.
- I did make the mistake of not quite fueling this one right; I think I underestimated it because it was a walk…and I also forgot my Hammer Bar on my bed where I was packing my backpack. Der. Will have to think this through more for the 5K I’ll be run/walking in 3 weeks!
- Between the Heart Walk, an afternoon Permaculture Gathering / trade show, and a LONG evening laptop repair session at the Apple Store, I got almost 15,000 steps on my pedometer on Saturday! And I was ready to be off my feet Saturday night. Totally ready for a little Mad Men before bed.
- I let Sunday be quiet for the first 2/3 of the day. Did some apartment organization – I started by looking for my stapler, and two hours later I had most of my desk organized, and I’d found about 8 more square feet of bare floor! Also found a whole box of clean workout clothes, my wetsuit, and a rosemaled plate from my Grandma, which is the first thing I’ve hung on the wall in my new place. Funny how finding your own stuff gets to feel like getting a present when you haven’t seen it for a while… Anyhow, found the stapler, paid some bills, and just let myself be quiet for a while.
- And then it was time to try the bike! I decided that today I’d let it be reflex, that I’d just go. I’d already had the whole day inside my own head, and I had moved to the edge and back of my capacity for overthinking. I was just ready to fly. And I did! No hip pain at all, and all of the instincts came back. Clipping in and out of the pedals was natural, and I looked forward to stop signs just to be able to practice more. Rode out for a ways on a nice wide shoulder, over some rollers, spinning up hills and feeling only the good kind of pain. I even stood to finish a few hills and get through some intersections, and it felt totally natural.
- So my goals this week are to be in good shape for Thursday’s PT appointment and to try the Geneva Women’s Ride this Saturday! If PT goes well, I get to graduate to working with an athletic trainer; I’ve requested someone who can help me with run form, as there’s no better time to learn good habits than now. And I’m just so looking forward to riding with the Geneva ladies…even if I need to turn around midway and bike myself home slowly. I don’t know how much volume or speed I’ll be able to hold. But I’ll be there for a latte afterwards!
- Happy Monday, all. Time to jump in!