A few thoughts from this week, in whatever order they pop up:
1. It’s raining again and for the foreseeable future. Like all 7 days of the extended forecast. WTFnF? It’s not that I even really mind personally; I can play inside or get wet. I like the sun – ok, LOVE the sun – but can stay happy enough with clouds. But I really feel for the farmers who are trying to induce anything to grow; I know how tough this is. Sending good thoughts, for whatever they’re worth. Makes me wonder how much climate change is responsible for the extreme wet, cool, stormy spring, and how much we humans could affect that if we tried.
2. I had an awesome bike ride yesterday with the Geneva girls. Just 3 of us yesterday, and we took a nice snappy pace on a loop down to Bellona. Not that I’d know from looking at my Garmin file, because not only was my speed / cadence sensor not paired, but I forgot to turn on the GPS. And my HRM is getting to the point that it’s only reliable to tell me THAT I have a pulse, not what that pulse actually is. How in the world do other people get pretty Garmin HR files with no wonky spikes or valleys? So although the data file is basically worthless, my MEMORY file is excellent! This was a challenge on my legs, but I kept up with the ladies and definitely worked harder on a bike than I have in a while. Felt awesome. And I was happy that I could do a strong 90 min ride, considering the fact that six weeks ago I was barely limping through 30 min easy spins, most of which were spent trying to reassure myself that I didn’t have to be freaked out all the time.
3. Today I need to learn how to install screens in my windows, because it’s stuffy in this apartment! Although it feels awesome to finally not have to deal with feet that won’t warm up.
4. My current favorite kitchen toy is the Latte Frother. This little guy is made to froth steamed milk for lattes – as the name, um, blatantly states – but it is also brilliant for mixing up protein shakes. These are the simple kind of shakes – just powder and liquid, no fruit – but Mr. Frother not only mixes in the powder but makes the shake more than double in volume! So a small before-bed protein shake, which I’m learning to do as part of this Core Diet adventure, gets bigger and way more fun. And you can sprinkle cinnamon on top. These are at Wegmans for $19.99, of which I unfortunately get no kickback.
5. My Ache of the Week was in my knees. Like a lot. I noticed this first at my Tuesday meeting with my run trainer. We decided I’d shoot to train at a 10:15 pace for the next couple weeks, as that’s the pace I naturally was running when I quit watching gadgets and just ran. My previous training pace had been about 11:15. So during my run at the clinic, I started to notice some pain on the inside of my knee, right under my patella. I figured it would work through, like my heel and arch pain that I’ve managed to massage, strengthen, and yoga-fy away. And it did work through, but it took about 4 days of hurting, massaging, stretching, walking, and trying to figure out what would release it. What finally did it was weight training. Amazing. I went into the gym Friday after work, did about 30 min of slow yoga and Triggerpoint massage, and then ran through my lower leg weight machines. The hamstring curl, and then the quad extension felt SO GOOD. Like my legs needed that resistance. About 80% of the pain was gone after that, and the rest went away after my bike ride yesterday. Seriously amazing. I love that I’m learning not to be scared of pain but to listen to it. I also love that sometimes a little resistance is what helps most.